Sign up to have one of our team of experts contact you
Register Now »

When You No Longer Use a Manufacturer

What do you do when you’re ready to phase out a manufacturer?

At some point, you may decide you no longer wish to use a manufacturer. When this happens, there are certain steps to take to assure the states that you are doing your due diligence in shutting down.

When you stop using that manufacturer, you are discontinuing the URN. All products labeled with that URN will no longer be licensed in the states you let lapse. Even products that were previously registered and licensed will no longer be considered valid. So, should a product your company sells still be on the shelves of a store when you cancel the URN, there is a chance you could receive a violation for not being registered.

Violations can range up to $720.00. We advise you keep certain states that are stricter in violations for a year, as well as the base license. This will help avoid hefty fines.

In addition, when using a service like ours, you’ll need to let the states know that you’re giving us permission to cancel the plant. You should supply a signed Letter of Non-Renewal from the manufacturer that they no longer wish to use the URN. Legal Label provides these letters to clients who need them when closing out. If not, states will expect the license is still in use and request renewals for the manufacturer. In some cases, it can lead to confusion with other registrations.

For information on what states you should keep licensed, contact us.

Pennsylvania Licensing Fee Increase

Licensing Fees Have Changed for Pennsylvania as of October 30th, 2017.

The Bedding and Stuffed Article licensing fees have doubled or tripled. The changes are as follows:

  • Manufacturer License & Renewal: $150.00 USD
  • Sterilization Permit: $75.00 USD
  • Sterilization: Renewal: $35.00 USD
  • Toy Manufacture License & Renewal: $75.00 USD
  • Per Unit Fees: $.05 USD

House Bill 118 is a bi-partisan effort, headed by Senator Kaufer (R). The bill is in regards the 2017-2018 Commonwealth Budget, and changed fees for Pennsylvania’s Department of Labor and Industry.

Legal Label will update as this goes, since we are currently invoicing our client base for their 2018 renewal fees.

In addition to sterilization fee changes, Pennsylvania has also announced it will accept Utah sterilization permits.

Are you a mattress, bedding, upholstered furniture, or stuffed toy manufacturer/importer that needs to be registered? Contact Legal Label for all your law label and state licensing needs today.